Monday, March 16, 2009

I think my Maths is getting worse



To everyone who reads this post, you. Yes, nobody else, it's you.
Please answer the question and leave me a comment.
I need it URGENTLY.


So which of the following region represents the region of B\A' ?



My answer is (i).

But my maths lecturer said it's (ii).

I was stunned.



I used to have a lot of confidence in my Maths.

Even sometimes when I'm wrong, I will still argue with you like nobody's business, claiming that I'm right, until someone can prove me it's wrong, or at least, convince me.

But today, I hesitated.

I didn't argue with the lecturer.

The lecturer said (i) is wrong, and told us B\A' is that we need to remove the common part of both sets and add up all the remainings, so (ii) should be the answer.

I remained sceptical.

I wanted to argue about it, but I hesitated.

I began to doubt if I'm right.




"Sets, Relations & Functions."

The very first chapter which we have learned in junior middle one.

"How easy this chapter is!", I thought.

Yea, it's because I used to score full marks in that particular subject in the olden days.

I even laughed when I saw this chapter being included in the syllabus of my current Maths subject, namely "Numerical Method and Logic".



But now, I hesitated. Why?

Why did I hesitate?



I was once so proud of myself that I even challenged Mr. LMH (the best Maths teacher I've ever seen) with this paradoxical question, 1-2+3-4.... , which I said the answer is 1/4 , but he said it's not.

(No, actually my intention was to know his answer for that question since it's a paradoxical equation. But at least I did dare to ask.)

I then argued with him and asked him to check the website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%E2%88%92_2_%2B_3_%E2%88%92_4_%2B_%C2%B7_%C2%B7_%C2%B7 , as there are quite a number of ways proving that 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + ... = 1/4



But yeah, he's much more stubborn than me. He did not even bother to check, and without hesitation, he told me again he will never be wrong and added that the website is completely a nonsense.

Haha! So that's mathematician's spirit!

I liked that, though I was a bit offended.




But this time, this time.

I hesitated.

Not because of what, but because I doubted..





Please leave me a comment. I need your answer.

Thanks in advance.


5 comments:

*~JuS+IcE~* said...

mine is (i) cause it should be the B region cutting out its shared part with A.... that's what i think.... i'm not sure also.... haha
but one thing for sure....it's that u cannot always deny what your lecturer said cause you need your lecturer to do many things there.... haha good luck ya... n thanks for the pi day....^^

joannechuen said...

i purposely stop eating n answer your ques, hehe. so long never do maths...

ok, B\A'.
mine is (i)too n i m pretty sure i m right. mayb you can tell your lecturer is u got the whole circle of the B first. then u cut away the part A'. so it just left the middle part.
He probably think terbalik as i first do so. hehe. add oil ya ^^

Jia said...

erm.. my ans is (i) also ,
coz A' should be the outer part of A (included right side of B )
, then B\A' ,
should be cut out the region of A',
the rest is (i) lor..
mine is (i) la..

hehe, i think maybe it was too far away from us ler,
at least 6 years,
that's why most of teachers said :" the easiest question , most of the students made mistake >< "

FT9 said...

unfortunately...my answer is same wif ur lecturer...
1st...u do A' part 1st....which whole region in concluded...without de a circle...den...
B region \ wif A' region...
den de remaining region is (ii) answer...

test said...

Sot De Ar? Once I See Then I Chose (i)

(Sry For Late Post, Was Busy)